Monday, October 24, 2011

Day Three: AFF "My Day with Hart Hanson"

Calling Day Three "My Day with Hart Hanson" sounds so creepy, especially considering I never actually spoke to the guy. No, wait, I blurted out one question that made very little sense and then spent the whole answer not making eye contact.

Again, full disclosure, I'm a huge Bones fan, and a lot of the information I learned won't matter unless you, too, are a huge fan. BUT IT MATTERS TO ME, OKAY?

First panel: "A Conversation with 2011 Outstanding Television Writer Awardee Hart Hanson"

I really don't even know what to say about this, other than I loved it. Rob Thomas (not from MatchboxTwenty) was moderating, and he had hired Hart back in the day, so they were total bff's. And David Boreanaz was just sitting there in the front row like a normal person. And all these fans were there just loving it.

I did learn that it is awesome to be a showrunner because you get to rewrite everyone else, and no one gets to rewrite your stuff. Life's hard, you know. Also, Hart Hanson has anxiety dreams about being an actor at a network casting session for a series. Who doesn't?

Second panel: "Hart Hanson and Kathy Reichs: The Collaboration Process"

To those who don't know, Kathy Reichs, a forensic anthropologist, writes these novels about Temperance Brennan, a forensic anthropologist. And then Bones took the character and Kathy's real life to create Temperance Brennan, a forensic anthropologist, who writes novels about Kathy Reichs, a forensic anthropologist. I'm glad we're all up to speed.

This panel was pretty great in explaining the adaptation and development process for a television show based on outside material. In this case, Kathy was and still is involved heavily with the show - she even ended up writing an episode in the fifth season. Hart says that is why their show was voted the most scientifically accurate of the forensics procedurals, only at 70%, mind you. So, basically, we all learned that you cannot trust what you see on TV.

Lunch break: AWARDS LUNCHEON

I was in the very back of the room, eating between a vegetarian and former cop who I didn't know, and my view of the screen was blocked my a giant column. Overall, it was amazing. I got to see the screenplay winners receive their awards, which is a nice little payoff from logging their scripts + 5000 others for months and months. I saw Hart, again, and Emily Deschanel's face on screen, plus David Boreanaz's face, again. Then, it went something like this... Johnny Depp gave an award to Caroline Thompson. Terry Tossio gave an award to Johnny Depp. Michael Arndt gave an award to John Lasseter. And on my walk back to the Driskill I met Martin Starr.

Panel Three: "In the TV Writers' Room" with Noah Hawley, Sterling Anderson, and Nancy Pimental

This panel was fantastic, and they gave plenty of advice - Write fast, and be good at delivering great first drafts. Write in your boss's voice. Keep your writing tight, and cut the fat. Don't be fucking insane. According to these folks, do all of this, and you'll keep your job!

TV break: BONES

They showed the episode were the Gravedigger gets her head blown off, and then David Boreanaz and Hart Hanson were there. And then they were mobbed at the end of the panel, so I went and talked to David Boreanaz, Sr. instead. He's a famous weather man, you know.

Then I went to the Day of the Dead mini-festival on sixth, and stayed out too late, again. Hence, no writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment