Monday, May 7, 2012

Noah Gundersen

This post makes no sense. Let me know where to send the cookie bouquet in lieu of an apology.

Writing update: Well, I've learned, again, that I cannot write on the weekend. So, I've only added a few sentences to my pilot. However, my original calendar had me finishing up a rough draft by the end of this week, which is still doable! Except I'm out of peach tea, my sleep schedule for the week is already clearly fucked up, and I'm seeing Jackson Browne on Thursday. I'll survive.

Today I found myself in two invigorating conversations with my two best friends. One was about music, and the other was about television. If I was talking to my sister, it would have been about cats... I digress.

Anyway, both conversations had me amped. I enjoy talking about these things. I am passionate about these things, so, yes, I will gladly talk to anyone who will listen for like 20 plays of "American Pie." That's an eight minute song and some change.

Also, I did a 100+ slide powerpoint on that song back in middle school, so I could literally talk about that song for like 20 plays of that song... I digress.

Again, anyway, I was so wired during and after these chats and, for some reason, the phrase "talk is cheap" popped into my head. I know the phrase means actions speak louder than words, but, today, I took them to literally mean talk is cheap entertainment. Unless it's a certain pervy kind of talking on a phone with singles in your area!!!! CALL NOW!!! That kind of talking seems like expensive entertainment. Hold on while I go shower off all the gross.

But this kind of talking with regular people is cheap, as in free. And it's invigorating and inspiring, and it's better than wasting my time on Facbeook and Twitter and Dawson's Creek fanfiction sites. Because, when you're talking to someone, they can argue with you or share something with you or teach you something and if you don't get it they can explain it or they can just yell at you. Either way, it's interactive... So, yes, apparently, I just figured out what it means to socialize. Talking, good. Cat lady, die, alone.

I think you get what I mean, though? Right? Basically, we need to get off our computers (except to talk) and our phones (except to talk) and go do things and then come back and talk about them. I hate talking. Usually.

But I do like talking about aforementioned music and television, and a certain song has been haunting me for almost a whole week. I think it's an excellent example of what it means to just talk about things. He's talking about big things, REALLY big things, but he doesn't put it in really big language. It's so simple. He's just talking.

Without any more words getting in the way: Jesus, Jesus - Noah Gunderson

Jesus, Jesus, could you tell me what the problem is
With the world and all the people in it?
Because I've been hearing stories about the end of the world,
But I'm in love with a girl, and I don't want to leave her
And the television screams with such hideous things
They're talking about the war on the radio
They say the whole thing's gonna blow, and we will all be left alone
No, we'll be dead, and we won't know what hit us

Jesus, Jesus, if you're up there, won't you hear me?
Because I've been wondering if you're listening for quite a while
And Jesus, Jesus, it's such a pretty place we live in,
And I know we fucked it up, but please be kind
Don't let us go out like the dinosaurs, or blown to bits in a third world war
There are a hundred different things I'd still like to do
I'd like to climb to the top of the Eiffel Tower, look up from the ground at a meteor shower,
And, maybe, even raise a family

Jesus, Jesus, there are those that say they love you,
But they have treated me so goddamn mean
And I know you said forgive them for they know not what they do
But sometimes I think they do, and I think about you
And if all the heathens burn in hell, do all their children burn as well?
What about the Muslims, and the gays, and the unwed mothers?
And what about me and all my friends, are we all sinners if we win?
Does it even matter, in the end, if we're unhappy?

Jesus, Jesus, I'm still look for answers
Though, I know that I won't find them here tonight
But, Jesus, Jesus, could you call me if you have the time?
And maybe we could meet for coffee and work it out
And maybe then I would understand what it's all about

No comments:

Post a Comment