Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Deschanels

I was recently told, by a quiz at a bread bakery in San Francisco, that I'm a "Light Rye!" A "romantic idealist." I'll be damned if that touchscreen kiosk didn't hit the nail on the head with that one. Yes, I'm sarcastic, and I think that sometimes gives off a negative vibe. Deep down, however, I'm incredibly optimistic. I'm hopeful above all else. I get worried, surely, but I've almost lived long enough to know that things will work out. My friends are going to go out and do great things. I will figure my shit out. I'm not going to die alone. We will all be happy.

Last night, from 11:45pm - 4:26am, as I was trying to fall asleep, somewhere between wiki'ing John Ritter and Sofia Vergara, "Home" by She & Him (Zooey Deschanel singing songs with a guy, ok?) kept replaying over and over in my head. I don't know how I jumped there, considering the first song I got in my head was "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." And then I started to think of something to tweet about that song, like - Does that say more about the Devil or about Georgia? Luckily, by morning, after whatever was keeping me up had evaporated from the closet I call my bedroom, I realized that made little sense and wasn't worth tweeting.

Back to She & Him. To set the record straight, and I must, my membership in the Deschanel fan club falls almost completely in the Emily category. She's an incredibly gifted actress. She's beautiful. She's smart. She's funny. She's got her shit together.

Yes, I love New Girl, and that show is nothing without Zooey. Before that, though, I was not completely sold on her acting. Her site, HelloGiggles is fun and cute, but I think it can do a better job in promoting women. She's got that awesome retro-chic thing going on, but I don't think fashion is ever a reason to throw your complete and total obsession at someone. Again, that's me. Team Emily forever.

Ah, but the songwriting and the musicianship - girlfriend's won me over. I don't want this to turn into a diatribe about music on the radio today, but, fuck it, this has already turned into my Deschanel Manifesto (the hand-written copy sits next to my Lisa Frank candles, vegan incense, and watercolor portrait of Joseph Gordon-Levitt). Basically, She & Him brings something new to the music turntable while, at the same time, paying homage to everything that is great about the old. It's original, somewhat. It's sincere, refreshingly.

Back to "Home" and my romantic idealism - like I said, I want things to work out. I like happy endings. That's why I like to write. In real life, that's why I like to map out conversations with people in my head before I see them. If you could see inside my head, you'd see me trying to "naturally" steer the conversation to certain talking points that I've already prepared so I can land a joke off-the-cuff. It's so completely on-the-cuff, you wouldn't even believe.

Back to "Home" and romantic idealism - basically, Zooey sums everything up in a just under five minutes. The "romantic" "ideal." Finding someone that is your everything. Every lyric is perfect. So, yea, right now, I'm going to write out every perfect fucking lyric. Deal with it. I have to get this off my chest and out of my brain so I can sleep tonight...

California is a great big nation of one
They never knew what they wanted 'til it was already gone
What do they do with the light in the morning when they wake up alone?
They just go home
They just go home

Yea, and maybe it's just this weird mood I've been in recently, but I do get the sense that California and its people kind of only look out for themselves. In a way, I like that. I like being alone. I thrive there. I, however, don't like being lonely. You can be alone without being lonely. You're not lonely at home - with a friend, a lover, a honey butter chicken biscuit. You get it. 

You're the nicest, nicest boy I've ever met and then
I think about you, then I think about you again
And again

Holy shit, yes. Everyone has been here. If you like someone, and especially if you love them, they are the nicest, greatest, shiniest, best thing to ever happen to you. They don't even have to know you exist, sometimes. Your whole world becomes about them. Everything reminds you of them. It's overwhelming in a good way. A really, really good way.

Why don't we just sit and stare and do nothing?
Nothing at all for a while
I like the way you smile

There's that quote from Juno that's like "find someone who thinks the sun shines out of your ass" or something. They love you. You don't have to do anything, and they love you. Everything you do is perfect. Even solar incandescence emanating from your crapper. Love is blind. Tried and true.

I could be your state, and I could be your nation
It doesn't get better than home, now does it?
It doesn't get better than home, now does it?
It doesn't get better than home, now does it?
It doesn't get better than home, now does it?
It's a comfort to me

Your state? Your nation? Where you belong. Where your heart holds citizenship. Incredible.

I could be your welcome, I could be your greeter
I could be sweet, and I could be sweeter
I want to be where your heart is home
I want to be where your heart is home
I want to be where your heart is home
It's a comfort to me

Simple. It sounds so cute when she sings it, but when you feel that way, it's not cute. It's mostly painful, again, in a good way. You "could" be all these things, but really you "will" be all these things. You "want" all these things, but really you "need" them. What's only implied here is that, when it works, everything is reciprocated. They need and want you too! What! That's got to be one of the best feelings inside the human condition. 

I want to see you with the light in the morning
There's never been such a beautiful warning to me, to me

Whereas before, the light in the morning meant you were alone, now it's a "beautiful warning." I die.

And then it repeats, and depending on my mood, I'm smiling like a fool with the windows rolled down or a blubbering mess with the blinds drawn.

Now, certainly this ideal isn't as easy to achieve in real life as it is in romantic comedies and Jane Austen novels. However, I think it feels a whole lot better in real life than it does vicariously through characters on a screen. But that's how I hope to make a living one day, so you better buy into that shit. 

Sorry for vomiting all over everything. Words.

No comments:

Post a Comment